Monday, April 13, 2009

Too much of a good thing

After my knit retreat (more about that in a later blog), I needed a bit of a break from knitting. Apparently you can have too much of a good thing. I'd tried to work on my Primavera socks while I was away, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

I found myself drawn to my mitred square blanket (MSB) instead. The MSB is a truly indulgent knit, which I often don't have time for at home. It requires me to pull out about 15 balls of the Noro Silk Garden and spread them out in a rainbow of colors. I'm being very careful to select just the right color placement, so it's not a quick knit project.

On my mini-vacation I hit up Sheepstrings and scored 10 balls of colorful Noro Silk Garden for my MSB. The 10 balls are all the same colorway, but after a moment's contemplation I realized I could wind some balls from the center and some from the outside, to vary the order of the colors. Then, with the scent of fresh Noro in my blood, I searched eBay and found a lot of 10 Silk Garden in complementary colors, which I promptly snapped up.

This blanket, when all is said and done, will have consumed at least 30-35 balls of Silk Garden. But I have a feeling this is an heirloom in the making.



No comments :

Post a Comment