Friday, May 10, 2013

A little bit of everything

I've been AWOL from my blog for a while, for which I apologize. But I have good reasons, I promise!

I've been overwhelmed with inspiration for designs since January and I've been scrambling as fast as I can to get all my ideas down on paper, tested and released into the wild. It's been an exciting ride seeing these ideas come to fruition. And even more thrilling to see the enthusiastic response my designs have received on Ravelry. Check out the new additions here (Ravelry link).

Swirl socks
There's a knit-a-long (KAL) for my Swirl socks going on right now in the Sock It To Me 2013 group on Ravelry. SITM 2013 is a group for knitters who are new to socks or just want to stretch their sock knitting skills in a supportive environment. The mods choose a new (and free!) official sock pattern each month. After one member had recommended some of my designs, I decided to offer the group one of my patterns for free for a KAL. They chose Swirl, which for many is their first attempt at knitting a toe up sock. I have to say, I'm impressed with everyone's progress so far! And the members are so supportive of each other, answering questions and finding videos online to demonstrate techniques.

I've also been collaborating with the owner of Sheepy Time Knits, an independent dyer, on a design to complement her new line of yarn/fibres in colors inspired by Middle Earth. (I confess...I still need to watch the Hobbit.) You should go check out the colors she's come up with. They're gorgeous. I'm eyeing up some of the Mithril in Silky Lace.

Mirkwood Shawl, shown in Mirkwood, All Your Base yarn,
from Sheepy Time Knits
The shawl I've designed for her Mirkwood colorway is a fingering weight shawl that incorporates motifs brought to mind by Mirthwood Forest in Tolkien's Middle Earth. But I've also knit up a version in her South Pacific colorway that is stunning. You don't need to be a Tolkien fan to knit this shawl.




 

Mirkwood Shawl, shown in South Pacific, All Your Base yarn,
from Sheepy Time Knits
The Mirkwood shawl is being test knit now and the pattern is due to be published on May 20th. Keep an eye out here and on Ravelry for release day specials!



Speaking of Ravelry, I've created a Maureen Foulds Designs group on Ravelry for fans of my designs. Come join us! We'll have KALs, show off our WIPs and FOs, answer questions, preview patterns and announce specials and sales.

No comments :

Post a Comment