Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Apple Picking

It's prime apple picking season here. On Sunday, my husband took our daughter and her friend to a local orchard and ended up picking and bringing home 30 pounds of apples: a mix of Gala and Macintosh.

I have no clue what to do with 20 pounds of apples (we sent 10 lbs home with the friend!). I can't bake pies. Actually, I've never tried - but I have a poor track record in the kitchen. The first thing that came to mind was apple crisp.

I Googled for recipes and decided to try this one: Allrecipes.com Apple Crisp II. The reviews sounded great, so last night I peeled, cored and sliced a dozen apples and made some apple crisp. I followed the advice in the comments and didn't add the extra water - and it wasn't needed. And I doubled the amount of the oat topping (which still didn't seem enough).

I didn't think to take photos. Actually, there wasn't time. My daughter and a swarm of her friends descended on the house about 10 minutes after it came out of the oven. (How do they know these things?) They loved it.

Oh my gosh! This recipe is amazing. This apple crisp tastes heavenly. You have to make it.

Now what to do with the other 18 lbs of apples? Any recommendations?

2 comments :

  1. Applesauce - peel, core, and cut apples into 1" pieces. In a large pot with 1/2 c. of water, cook the apples down until softened. Add some cinnamon. No need to add sugar but you can if you like. Mash the softened apples with a potato masher and either can or put into containers and freeze.

    ReplyDelete